Monday 16 January 2012

Celeste - Virginia Andrews

Celeste included many of the same ingredients used to cook up all novels by Virginia Andrews; a crazy and or long lost parent/guardian and sexual/physical/mental abuse. How there is still demand for work by Andrews, I don't know. When Virginia Andrews died 25 years ago her death her family hired a ghost writer to continue publishing novels under her name. I'm sure many people will agree when I say enough is enough.

The plot for Celeste goes a little like this:

Celeste and her twin brother Noble live with their mother who is a little loopy. She believes in spirits and lives to please them. When Noble dies, Celeste's mother cuts her hair and makes her dress in boys clothes to try and keep Noble alive (shocking!). Celeste is so eager to please her mother that she plays along. That is until a boy moves into the house next door and finds out everything. This encounter has devastating consequences (of course).

Andrews dribbled on about the characters yet they still had no depth. Nothing that happened in the novel came as a surprise because I've read it all before. It was utter rubbish. I remember the enjoyment (and guilt) I used to get out of reading V C Andrews trash and thought it was exactly what I needed to get me through my husbands hospital stay, but I was wrong.

Celeste isn't even worth the time it took me to type this. But for all who may pick it up off the shelf and contemplate reading it, you have been warned.

And for all those who are interested, my husband is still pretty unwell but he's getting better. The doctors have found out what was wrong with him and have done everything they can to fix it. He is in the best possible place. I know that he reads my blog and when he's up to checking his emails again I want him to know that I love him.

Sam I Am

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realise you could still get books by VA. Weird.
    My sister and I first read Flowers in the Attic after my uncle gave it to her for her 8th birthday. Also Weird.

    Hope he's feeling better soon. At least things sound like they're on their way up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8th birthday? Seriously? I guess the title sounds innocent enough. Yes you can still by V C Andrews novels. They're usually in the 3 for $10 bin outside news agents and books stores :)

      Delete